Okay, so it's been a while since my last legit blog post. Man, have I been BUSY! It's not easy living in paradise while trying to juggle 16 credits. I know it's late, but I've REALLY been looking forward to blogging about the Summit. So, let me fast forward and give you a quick recap from where I left off last time up until I hiked the summit.
Fast Forward a Busy Week of School
Saturday Sept 18th: Condensed
Kayaking. In the Ocean. Yeah, it was awesome. Thanks Nafe, Haley and Cyndel for making it awesome. Oh yeah.
Fast Forward Another Week of School, Choir Rehearsal and Play Practice
STOP
PLAY
The Trail to the Summit
Saturday September 25th
Part One: Preparations and Introductions
If you've ever undergone a quest, you should know that the most important preparation you can make is the team of adventurers who will be joining you. In this case, our team consisted of some of Jasmine's friends. That's one of the reasons why I love Jasmine, she keeps introducing me to new people (and she has a car). So after I strapped on my tennis shoes, prepared a sack lunch, packed some jerky and water, and slapped on some boardshorts, I met the new crew:
Jasmine, Tia, Nicole, Erek, Nafe, Caroline and Dax.
Part Two: Do not enter
The trailhead to the Summit is a short distance away from campus, so we had Jasmine drive us up in groups, since we couldn't all fit in the car at once. Jasmine drops off Nafe and I and what is the first thing we see? A sign saying, "Do Not Pick Coconuts You Will be Shot", and about 30 other DO NOT ENTER signs. "If you're not blood, you will bleed," was one of my favorites. So was "Forget Dog, Beware of Owner". I would love to meet the old man who makes all these signs. He sounds like a great guy. I think I might make him a sign and give it to him for Christmas. Fortunately, our path didn't require us trepass on his property.
Part Three: Ninja Points
Nafe and I hid out in a giant tree while waiting for the others to show up. We were about 40 feet off the ground. Then, just as the others showed up, the branch i was standing on snapped clean in two. I was suspended in free fall for a fraction of an instant before I lithely alighted on two branches below. Honest to goodness, everyone thought I was going to die, but I made it look so easy and natural. Way to spit in the face of death with flair! (Think I'm exaggerating? Ask Jasmine for yourself) I was granted 500 Ninja Points and we were on our way.
Part Four: The Falls
After two hours of some of the most gorgeous hiking ever (and some tart Strawberry-Guavas), we took a quick detour at Laie Falls. It wasn't long, just long enough to jump into the water. Nicole almost died on the steep descent, but she saved herself with grace that even I envied. After we cooled off, we kept hiking up the mountain so that we could make it to the top by lunchtime.
Subplot: Wild Raspberries
Yes, we ate wild raspberries on the mountain. They were delicious, some of the best raspberries I've ever eaten. I didn't get sick, so maybe it wasn't such a bad idea.
Part Five: The Summit
I cannot even explain how awesome the view was when we made it to the top. Maybe I could if I had more time and was in the poet mindset. Just picture this. We looked north and saw La'ie, our beloved hometown. Laie is right on the shore and miles and miles of ocean were spread out before us. To the east, we saw more ocean. To the South, More ocean. To the west, taller mountains from the Leeward Side of the Island. You know you're living on a tiny little rock in the middle of the pacific when you can see the ocean on 3 out of 4 directions. Did I mention I live in Hawaii and its awesome? Because I live in Hawaii, and its awesome, and its even awesomer when you see it all from the top.
Look, Simba. Everything the light touches is our kingdom.
No comments:
Post a Comment