Busy. Busy. BUSY!
Who knew moving to Hawaii would be so much WORK?
I registered for classes over two months ago. My schedule was PERFECT! My schedule was consistent and not too overwhelming, with a nice sprinkling of fun classes mixed in. It was a nice 15 credits to keep me occupied.
And then, last Sunday, I had this OVERWHELMING prompting to audition for Concert Choir.
Um... how about I build a boat instead?
Before I continue, check out how AWESOME the BYUH Concert Choir is: Battle of Jericho
If you know me (and I mean, REALLY know me) you know that I'm very insecure about my voice. I sing in choir and in musical ensembles, but I get extremely nervous when it comes to solos. I usually only sing solos very late at night when my inhibitions are out the window. Or when I'm showering and think my family isn't listening (which they are). For three years, I have been working on my voice and praying for an increase in talent. If you knew me three years ago, you know how awful I used to be. If you've listened to me recently, you can see that the Lord has blessed me and there has been quite a bit of improvement. However, I will not claim to be a great singer. Did I consider myself ready to audition for the top choir at BYU-H? Absolutely not!
But I could not shake that feeling. Someone in Sacrament Meeting commented on how nice my voice sounded. I rarely get those kind of sincere compliments, so I cherish every one. When I made a pilgrimage to the temple after a fireside, my jetlag made me so tired that I kept breaking out into song. Surprisingly, the three girls I was with didn't run away screaming, but encouraged me to keep singing. The feeling to audition for Concert Choir was so powerful that I was compelled to action. The Lord was COMMANDING me. He gave me this talent, he wants me to use it.
And thank you, Nephi, for clearing things up in 3:7.
I'm paraphrasing here, but the Lord told me that "He wouldn't command me to join Concert Choir unless He had prepared the way for me to get in."
Maybe I lucked out because a few choir members just graduated (it happens). Maybe I lucked out because they needed basses (surprisingly, I am not a bass, but a baritone. I have only been singing bass for the last year to fill a vacancy in the SHS Show Choir. Coincidence?). Maybe my personal charm won my way in (yeah right. What personal charm?).
What I'm trying to say is that I don't believe in coincidences. The Lord gives blessings to the faithful, even if those blessings are years in the making. As a friend told me today, "There are no accidents."
Three callbacks later, and to make a long story short....
I made it into Concert Choir.
No comments:
Post a Comment